The Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) is a national level entrance exam for admissions to candidates in undergraduate (UG) and postgraduate (PG) law courses offered at 22 NLUs and other colleges/ universities accepting exam scores.
CLAT PG 2022 Registration Dates
01 Jan, 2022 – 31 Mar, 2022 Application | Mode: Online
08 May, 2022 Exam | Mode: Offline
CLAT PG 2022 Highlights
|Full Exam Name
|Common Law Admission Test for LLM
|Short Exam Name
|Consortium of NLUs
|Frequency of Conduct
|Once a year
|National Level Exam
|Mode of Application
|Application Fee (General)
|4000 Rs [Online]
|Mode of Exam
|Mode of Counselling
|Number of Seats
CLAT PG 2022 Eligibility Criteria
To appear for CLAT exam, candidates need to fulfil the eligibility criteria as under:
CLAT Eligibility for five-year Integrated courses:
- Candidates who have completed 10+2 or equivalent examination for national or state board of education
- They should have obtained minimum 45% marks if belonging to General/ Other Backward Class (OBC) / Specially-abled categories and 40% marks if belonging to Scheduled Class (SC) / Scheduled Tribe (ST) categories
- There is no age limit to apply for CLAT LLM as the Bar Council of India (BCI) as removed the upper or lower age limit criteria for admissions to law courses
CLAT PG 2022 Exam Pattern
CLAT PG exam pattern is officially provided by the consortium. The exam pattern of CLAT PG includes details such as the number of questions asked, mode of exam, marking scheme, question type and related information.
Exam pattern of CLAT PG 2022
- There are no descriptive section
- Only multiple-choice questions (MCQs) are asked
- There are 120 MCQs
- Questions are comprehension based
- +1 mark is awarded for correct, while -1/4 mark is deducted for an incorrect answer
Mode of exam : Online
Exam duration : 2 hours
CLAT PG 2022 Admission Procedure
Candidates seeking admissions to NLUs or law schools accepting CLAT scores have to follow the process as under:
Online application – The CLAT consortium opens the application window in online mode on the official website. Candidates seeking admissions through CLAT exam have to apply before the last date of application after completing each step including, registration, filling up the form, uploading documents and fee payment.
Issuing of admit card – The candidates who have successfully filled and submitted the application form of CLAT will be issued admit card to appear for the examination. The admit card of CLAT 2022 will mention details about the test-taking candidate, exam centre name and location, and test schedule.
Appearing for the exam – Candidates have to appear for the entrance exam at the allotted test centres of CLAT 2022. The test timings for CLAT 2022 are 2 pm – 4 pm, however, candidates should report to their test centre by 2 pm. They should their admit card and a valid photo ID proof with them.
Declaration of results – The consortium will announce results of CLAT 2022 on the official website along with a provisional merit list for each NLU.
Admission process – The counseling process of CLAT 2022 will begin in online mode with provisional seat allotment on the basis of the first merit list. The candidates have to confirm their seats after document verification and payment of counselling-cum-admission fee.
Exam Day Tips
Candidates appearing for the exam should carefully check the exam day instructions mentioned below:
- Candidates should report their allotted test centres at least an hour before the exam
- They should carry admit card for CLAT as well as one photo ID proof and a recent passport size photograph
- Candidates should also carry one HB pencil and at least two pens (ballpoint and black/ blue coloured ink)
- Moreover, candidates must not carry study material, valuable items or electronic devices with them as mobile phones, calculators, smartwatches or tablets are banned inside the examination hall
CLAT PG 2022 Paper Format
- Maximum Marks:150
- Duration of exam 02:00 Hours
- Multiple-Choice Questions 100 questions of one mark each
- Subjective Questions 50 Marks (Two Essay type questions each of 25 Marks, 800 words per essay) on the topics of law and contemporary issues
- Constitutional Law
- Other areas of law such as Jurisprudence, Administrative Law, Law of Contract, Torts, Family Law, Criminal Law, Property Law, Company Law, Public International Law, Tax Law, Environmental Law, and Labour & Industrial Law
- Negative Marking 0.25 Mark will be deducted for each wrong answer
CLAT 2021 will see the incorporation of some changes as proposed by the Consortium of NLUs. These include:
- A reduction in the number of questions from 200 to 150
- Increased emphasis on comprehension-based questions
- Quantitative Analysis to replace mathematics and the questions to be based on Class 10 syllabus
- Legal reasoning to replace legal aptitude with a focus on the ability to analyze a situation and choose the right answer
- Current affairs will be given more importance than static GK
The test will be conducted across five topics – English Language, Quantitative Analysis, Legal Reasoning, Logical Reasoning, and Current Affairs.
Given these changes, a few things stand out:
- CLAT 2022 will focus on your reasoning and comprehension abilities and skills.
- You will have to display the aptitude to become a law student rather than possess volumes of knowledge.
- You will have more time to answer each question.
Keeping these points in mind, you will need to work harder on a few skills apart from studying the syllabus. These skills are:
Remember, the consortium is going to view candidates differently. Hence, these four skills hold paramount importance. With around 48 seconds to answer each question, you will need a good reading speed with a practiced ability to understand and analyze the comprehension as you read. Further, you need to practice your reasoning skills since they will come handy in logical and legal reasoning topics.
Additionally, with more focus on Current Affairs (as opposed to static GK), you must get into a regular habit of reading newspapers and keeping track of the latest happenings in all aspects – sports, politics, law, medicine, science, etc.
Finally, with mathematics giving way to Quantitative Analysis of the level of Class 10, expect some brain teasers. While the calculation will not be difficult, understanding what to calculate will require these skills too.
A simple CLAT 2022 strategy
The consortium has uploaded a few mock tests on its website. Take those tests and assess your level of preparation. Once you have a fair idea, create a study plan to work on your weaknesses, and build on your strengths. Ensure that you constantly keep checking your progress by appearing for mock tests.
You can also consider joining an online coaching program like the one offered by the Delhi Law Academy. With access to over 350 hours of video lectures, 800 pages of exam-focused notes, mock tests on the pattern of CLAT, thousands of practice questions, live doubt-solving sessions, etc., you can be assured of being in good hands. The team at the Academy ensures that you are better prepared to fulfill your dream of bagging a seat at one of the best NLUs.
Remember, a change in the pattern of CLAT is an opportunity in disguise. While many students and coaching institutes would be struggling to find the right combination, if you follow this simple strategy and get a good institute or guide to stand by you, then you can definitely crack the test.
This blog talks about CLAT 2022 Process, Changes, Preparation Strategy and some more tips and tricks.
For more such blogs related to law click here.
For Online CLAT Coaching, visit our website.