Assam Judicial Service Grade-I 2015 Paper-I
Assam Judicial Service Grade-I 2015 Paper-I Question Paper
Total marks – 100 Duration – 3 hours
Part – A
1. Write an essay: (Any one)
(a) Relationship between the Bench and the Bar.
(b) Look East policy of the Government of India.
(c) The role of Judiciary in India.
2. (a) Read the following passage and write a precis.
(b) Give a title of the precis.
(c) Indicate the number of words used by you in writing the precis.
“As daylight can be seen through very small holes, so little things will illustrate a person’s character. Indeed, character consists of little acts, well and honourably performed in our daily life. One of the most marked tests of character is the manner in which we conduct ourselves towards others. A graceful behavior towards superiors, inferiors and equals is a constant source of pleasure. It pleases others because it indicates respect for their personality; but it gives tenfold pleasure to ourselves. Every man may, to a great extent, be a self-educator in good behavior, as in everything else. He can be civil and kind, if he will, though he may not have a penny in his purse. Even a kind look will give pleasure and confer happiness. Gentleness in society is like the silent influence of light which gives colour to all nature. It is far more powerful than loudness of force and far more fruitful.”
(d) Expand the proverb. 10 “A rolling stone gathers no moss” OR MA man without purpose is like a ship without a rudder”
(e) Use each of the following words in two separate sentences, first as a noun and then as a verb:
(i) hunt (ii) wound (Hi) discredit (iv) team (v) experience
Part – B
Direction (Q. Nos. 3 to 42) Choose the most appropriate answer.
3. The Right to Education Act has been approved for implementation in the state of Assam. Assam is the State in the country to implement the Act since passed in 2009?
4. Kushal Konwar was sentenced to death by hanging during?
(a) Quit India Movement
(b) Sepoy Mutiny
(c) Non-cooperation Movement
(d) First World War
5. The sacred ashes of Gandhij had been kept in the safe deposit locker of the State Bank of India in
6. The Indian Independence Act was passed by the British Parliament in
(a) January, 1947
(b) December, 1946
(c) August, 1947
(d) July, 1947
7. In what respect is the Assamese Ramayana by Madhab Kandali unique?
(a) It was published by a foreign publisher
(b) It is the first regional translation of the epic
(c) The character of Sita is shown in a negative aspect
(d) Characters are changed to familiar Assamese names
8. The first Assamese actress to win the Best Actress Award in the National Film Festival is
(a) Kashmiri Saikia
(b) Mridula Barua
(c) Malaya Goswami
(d) Dr. Santana Bordoloi
9. Who among the following is the author of the book ‘Assamese : its Formation and Development’ ?
(a) Hem Barua
(b) Dr. Banikanta Kakoti
(c) Anandaram Barua
(d) Dr. Maheswar Neog
10. Dr. Bhupen Hazarika was awarded with the Swarna Kamal as the best music director of the country at the 23rd National Film Awards in 1976 for his music in the film
(c) Chameli Memsaab
(d) Loti ghoti
11. The Kamrupa king who took part in the Mahabharata was
12. The Dighali Pukhuri in Guwahati was built by
13. The Police Training College in Assam is situated at
(d) Guwahati (Jalukbari)
14. The historic Assam Accord was signed between the Union Government and the Government of Assam with the AH Assam Students’ Union and the All Assam Gana Sangram Parishad on August 15, in the year
15. Who is the first Assamese writer to receive the Jnanpith award?
(a) Dr. Bhabendra Nath Saikia
(b) Homen Borgohain
(c) Dr. Birendra Kumar Bhattacharya
(d) Nalinibaia Devi
16. Which of the following is not situated on the bank of the Brahmaputra ?
17. Who amongst the following Ahom kings of Assam introduced the system of recording of land in state papers for the first time?
(a) Siva Singha
(b) Rajeswar Singha
(c) Lakshmi Singha
(d) Gaurinath Singha
18. The first Assamese monthly magazine ‘Arunudai’ was published in the year
19. The first oil refinery in Assam was established at Digboi in the year
20. Pobitora sanctuary is situated in which of the following districts?
(c) Kamrup (Rural)
21. The book ‘Courts and their Judgments’ is written by
(a) Amartya Sen
(b) Arun Shourie
(c) Nani Palkhiwala
(d) Fali Nariman
22. Stephen Hawking is the author of which of the following books?
(a) Cycles of Time
(b) The Grand Design
(c) A Mathematician’s Apology
(d) The Selfish Gene
23. Match the following scientists with their respective discoveries Scientists Discoveries
(a) Ernest Rutherford 1. Nucleus
(b) James Chadwick 2. Neutron
(c) W.C. Rontgen 3. Radio activity
(d) Albert Einstein 4. X-rays
5. Theory of photoelectric effect
(a) (b) (c) (d)
(a) 1 2 3 4
(b) 1 2 4 5
(c) 2 3 4 5
(d) 3 4 5 1
24. The Indian Scientist to have an equation named jointly after him and Albert Einstein was
(a) J.C. Bose
(b) S.N. Bose
(c) Homi 1 Bhaba
(d) V. Sarabhai
25. The North-East Frontier Agency (NEFA) is the old name of which of the following states?
(d) Arunachai Pradesh
26. The rear view mirror used in a motor vehicle is
(d) None of these
27. DNA finger printing was developed by
(a) Dr. Aiec Jeffrey
(b) James Watson
(c) Francis Crick
(d) Friedrich Miescher
28. Who amongst the following is the writter of the novel “Pita Putra”?
(a) Dr. Mamoni Raisam Goswami
(b) Dr. Bhabendra Nath Saikia
(c) Shri Homen Borgohain
(d) Shri Gautam Prasad Baruah
29. T.S. Thakur is the______ Chief Justice of India.
30. The verdict on the 99th amendment to the Constitution and the NJAC Act, 2014 was pronounced by a bench comprising of
(a) Chief Justice H.L. Dattu, Justice J Cheiameswar, Justice Madan B lokur, Justice Kurian Joseph and Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel.
(b) Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar, Justice J Cheiameswar, Justice Dipak Misra, Justice Kurian Joseph and Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel.
(c) Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar, Justice J Cheiameswar, Justice Madan B Lokur, Justice Kurian Joseph and Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel.
(d) Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar, Justice J Cheiameswar, Justice Madan B Lokur, Justice Kurian Joseph and Justice Anil R. Dave.
31. The Supreme Court of India has been granted the power of Judicial review which was borrowed from the Constitution of
32. “If India ever finds its way back to the freedom and democracy that were proud hallmarks of its first eighteen years as an independent nation, someone will surely erect a monument to ______ of the Supreme Court”. This is the only instance New York Times wrote an editorial about an Indian Supreme Court Judge. Who was the Supreme Court Judge?
(a) K. K. Mathew
(b) H.R. Khanna
(c) V.R. Krishna Iyer
(d) P.K. Goswami
33. A father tells his son, “I was of your present age when you were born.” If the father is 36 now, how old was the boy 5 years back?
34. The number to which 5 is added the result becomes 10 less than the double of the number. What is the number?
35. If GOODNESS is HNNPCODTR, how is GREATNESS written
36. A candidate should score 45% marks of the total marks to pass the examination. He gets 520 marks and fails by 20 marks. The total marks in the examination are
37. Find the number of triangles in the given figure.
38. Five persons were playing cards game sitting in a circle, ail facing the centre. Mukund was to the left of Rajesh, Vijoy was to the right of Anil and between Anil and Nagesh. Who was to the right of Nagesh?
39. Choose the correct alternative that will continue the same pattern and replace the question mark in the given series.
120, 99, 80, 63, 48 ?
40. Find the odd man out.
3, 5, 11, 14, 17, 21
41. Rasik walked 20 m towards north. Then he turned right and walks 30 m. Then he turns right and walks 35 m. Then he turns left and walks 15 m. Finally he turns left and walks 15 m. In which direction and how many metres is he from the starting position?
(a) 15 m West
(b) 30 m East
(c) 30 m West
(d) 45 m East
42. What percentage of 2000 gives 20?