Assam Judicial Service Grade-III 2008 GK
Assam Judicial Service Grade-III 2008 GK Question Paper
Total marks – 100 Duration – 3 hours
1. The maxim “Nemo debet bis vexari” relates to the famous doctrine of:
(c) Double Jeopardy
2. Who is famous for developing the concept of ‘Rule of Law’?
3. A District Judge in a State is appointed by
(a) The Chief Justice of the High Court of the State
(b) The High Court of the State
(c) The Governor of the State in consultation with the High Court of the State
(d) The Chief Justice of the High Court in consultation with the High Court of the State.
4. The High Court is called a ‘Court of Record’ because
(a) The High Court deals with a record number of cases yearly
(b) The record of all subordinate Courts are under the supervision of the High Court
(c) All the decisions of the High Court are recorded and these form precedents for other cases of similar nature
(d) The Records of the High Court are kept for supervision of the Supreme Court.
5. Who among the following is the Advocate General of State of Assam:
(a) Mr. A.K.Phukan
(b) Mr. N. Dutta
(c) Mr, A. Sarma
(d) Mr. N. Kotiswar Singh
6. An accused below the age of 18 years, for committing an offence, can be tried under:
(a) Indian Penal Code.
(b) Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act.,2000.
(c) Code of Criminal Procedure.
(d) Juvenile Justice Act, 1986.
7. The Law declared by the Supreme Court of India is binding upon all the Courts subordinate to it in India
(a) Under Article 141 of the Constitution of India
(b) under Article 139 of the Constitution of India
(c) under Article 132 of the Constitution of India
(d) None of these.
8. The Gauhati High Court is the High Court of:
(a) Seven States.
(b) Two States
(c) F our States
(d) One State.
9. Which one of these books was written by Lt. Jawahar LaL Nehru:
(a) The Discovery of India
(b) Gandhi: Life and Thought
(c) The Republic
(d) India Wins Freedom
10. Which language is largely spoken in Kerala:
11. When did the First War of Indian Independence, known as Indian Mutiny, begin ?
12. Where was Indian National Army (INA) was formed ?
(b) Burma (now Mynmar)
13. What is hung Parliament?
(a) A Parliament after a general election in which two political parties get equal number of seats.
(b) A Parliament after a general election in which no party gets an absolute majority.
(c) A Parliament after a general election in which every party claims to form a Government.
(d) None of above.
14. A retired Judge of the Supreme Court cannot take up one of the following employments
(a) Chairman of National Human Rights Commission
(b) Chairman of Law Commission
(c) Practice before Supreme Court
(d) None of the above
15. The full form of STD is
(a) Subscriber Telephone Directory
(b) Subscriber Trunk Dialing
(c) Subscriber Telephone Dialing
(d) Subscriber Telecom Dialing.
16. In civil action, the standard of proof is
(a) Beyond reasonable doubt
(b) On balance of probabilities
(c) Convincing to the Judge
(d) Logical and reasonable.
17. When a Court passes a judgment in ignorance of a legal provision, such a judgment is called
(a) a judgment in rem
(b) a judgment in personam
(c) a judgment in per incurium
(d) a judgement sub silentio
18. Total strength of Judges in the Supreme Court (including the Chief Justice ) presently is ?
19. The World Health Day is observed on
(a) 7th April
(b) 4th August
(c) 6th December
(d) 15th June.
20. In the world of Hindi Cinema a famous actor wag affectionately called as “Dada Moni’. He was
(a) Balraj Sahani
(b) Prithviraj Kapoor
(c) Ashok Kumar
(d) Utpal Dutt.
21. Whom IGNOU Tie-up recently with
(a) US Academic
(b) Mynmar Academic
(c) Jordan and Israel
(d) Israel and Egypt
22. Ghauri is the name of
(a) A Hindu Goddess
(b) A cow appearing in Hindu mythology
(c) A missile developed by Pakistan
(d) A missile developed by India.
23. Name the place where Cricket World Cup was held in 2007 –
(b) New Zealand
(c) West Indies
24. Islam was founded by Prophet Mohammed who lived in
(a) 5 A.D.
(b) 6 A.D.
(c) 7 A.D.
(d) 8 A.D.
25. ‘Panchsheel’ was built into the Sino-Indian Treaty of 1954, signed by Nehru ;
(a) Chou-en Lai
(b) Mao Tse Tung
(c) Deng Xiopang
26. Uniform Civil Code is envisaged in the constitution of India in Article
27. The Attorney General of India is
(a) Harish Salve
(b) Soli J. Sorabjee
(c) Kapil Sibal
(d) Milon Banerjee.
28. The present Chairperson of National Human Rights Commission is
(a) Justice J.S.Verma
(b) Justice M.N.Venkatachaliah
(c) Justice P.N.Bhagwati
(d) Justice S. Rajendra Babu
29. The Police Commissioner is invested magisterial powers.
30. If two numbers are in the ratio of 9:1, then their square roots are
31. The next numbers are in the series 6,12,18, is
32. If the diameter of a circle is doubled, it’s area will
(d) remain the same.
33. The Indian Penal Code was enacted in :-
34. Which Supreme Court judgment has laid down guidelines for dealing with complaint for ‘Sexual Harassment at Work Place’:
(a) Danial Latifi v Union of India
(b) Vishaka v State of Rajasthan
(c) D.K.Basu v State of West Bengal
(d) Joginder Kumar v State of U.P.
35. Which Article in the Constitution of India provides free and compulsory education to children between 6 to 14 years of age ?
(a) Article 16
(b) Article 21 A
(c) Article 32
(d) Article 24
36. Who dissolves Parliament:
(a) Prime Minister
(b) Council of Ministers
(c) Lok Sabha Speaker
37. Lashdweep island is situated in which Ocean:
(a) Bay of Bengal
(b) Arabian Sea
(c) Pacific Ocean
(d) Indian Ocean.
38. Rafting is a sport, which is played in :
39. In which year the Right to Information Act was enacted:
40. Name the Indian astronaut, who went in space:
(a) Kalpana Chawla
(b) Rakesh Sharma
(c) Sunita Williams
(d) Shekhar Tandon
41. What is the full form of C.I.S.F.:
(a) Central Investigation & Security Force
(b) Central Infrastructure & Security Force
(c) Central Industrial & Security Force
(d) Central Industrial & Social Force
42. Where will be the next Olympic Games held:
(b) Los Angeles
43. Smti. Pratibha Patil has been elected as
(a) 13th President of India
(b) 12th President of India
(c) 11th President of India
(d) 14th President of India.
44. Who among the following was the Chairman of the Constituent Assembly for writing of Constitution of India:
(b) Sardar Ballabha bhai Patel
(c) Rajendra Prasad
(d) Jagatjivan Ram.
45. The first Judge of Gauhati High Court who was elevated to Supreme Court of India was
(a) Justice P.K.Goswami
(b) Justice B.L. Hansaria
(c) Justice Baharul Islam
(d) Justice K.N. Sailda
46. First lady who become the Chief Minister of a State:
(a) Sushma Swaraj
(b) Sheela dikshit
(c) Sucheta Rripalani
(d) J. Jayalalita
47. The first lady who became the Ruler of India
(a) Noor Jehan
(b) Razia Sultan
(d) Mumtaz Mahal
48. Which of the following is a Human Rights organization?
(a) Red Cross
(b) Amensty International
(c) Trusteeship Council
(d) None of the above
49. Which of the following countries is not a member of the UN ?
50. The UNO was founded at
(d) San Francisco