Arunachal Pradesh Judicial Service Grade – III 2013 – English
Arunachal Pradesh Grade – III 2013- English Question Paper
Total marks – 100 Duration – 3 hours
1. Write an essay on:
“Professional ethics in the legal profession”.
” When there is will there is a way”.
2. Read the following passage and answer the question given below 4
“That night after I had hung my stocking, I lay awake a long time, pretending to be asleep and keeping alert to see what Santa Clause would do when he came. At last I fell asleep with a new doll and white bear in my arms. Next morning it was I who waked the whole family with my first “Merry Christmas!” I found surprises, not in the stocking only, but on the table, on all the chairs, at the door, on the very window-still; indeed, I could hardly walk without stumbling on a bit of Christmas wrapped up in tissue paper, But when my teacher presented me with a canary, my cup of happiness overflowed.
Little Tim was so tame that he would hop on my finger and eat candied cherries out of my hand. Miss Sullivan taught me to take all the care of my new pet. Every morning after breakfast I prepared his bath, made his cage clean and sweet, filled his cups with fresh seed and water from the well-house, and hung a spray of chickweed in his swing.
One morning I left the cage on the window-seat while I went to fetch water for his bath. When I returned I felt a big cat brush past me as I opened the door. At first I did not realize what had happened, but when I put my hand in the cage and Tim’s pretty wings did not meet my touch or his small pointed claws take hold of my finger, I knew that I should never see my sweet little singer again.”
2.1 What did Helen do on that night?
2.2 What did Helen find on the Christmas morning?
2.3 How did Helen take care of Tim?
2.4 What led Helen to think that she would never see her per again?
3. Write a few lines on your favourite sports or physical activity. 10
4. Write on your favourite author or book. 10
5. Write a brief note on the pollution problems in your home town. 10
6. Five alternative words are given. Find out which one of them would make the sentence correct and meaningful 5×1=5
6.1 His hesitancy in taking quick decision cost him ….. in this matter
(a) Barely (b) Admirably (c) Collectively (d) Earnestly (e) Dearly
6. 2 When I visited Nagpur after a gap of twelve years, the old memories were ………
(a) Invited (b) Projected (c) Revived 0)- Personalized (e) Liked.
6.3 Rajesh threw ……. Girish’s shoulders the modest shawl.
(a) By (b) On (c) Above (d) Upon (e) giver.
6.4 He displayed great courage and ………, in those very difficult days.
(a) Cunningness (b) Fortification (c) Homogeneity (d) Durability (e) Fortitude
6.5 He is a foreigner but he ___ with us on various issues related to India
(a) b Disagrees (b) Converses (c) Associates (d) Coincides (e) Ventures.
7. In the following test, you should choose the one word whose meaning is closest to the given word,
(a) Dignified (b) Wise (c) Stern (d) Sad (e) Shining
(a) Benevolent (b) Rancorous (c) Occasional (d) Virile (e) Manlike
(a) Sundered (b) Detached (c) Unknown (d) Reciprocal (e) Abscure
(a) Propose (b) Doubt (c) Condense (d) Bless (e) Take exception
(a) Watch (b) Supervise (c) Upset (d) Direct (e) Oppose
8. Each of the following words is followed by five words one of which is its opposite in meaning. Specify the word which you find most nearly opposite in meaning.
(a) Right (b) Exact (0 Mistake (d) Action (e) Wisdom
(a) Widen (b) Decrease (c) Strengthen (d) Dissolved (e) Disappear
(a) Greatest (b) Feeble (c) Small (d) Giant (e) Stupid
(a) Mean (b) Delicate (c) Stout (d) Defame (e) Thin
(a) Vanquished (b) Successor (c) Inheritor (d) Grace (e) Defeating
9. In questions the first and the fast parts of the sentence are numbered (1) to (6). The rest of the sentence is split into four parts and named P,Q, R and S, these four parts are not given in their proper order. Read the sentence and find out which of the four combinations is correct. Then find the correct answer.
10. Each of the following sentences or phrases is followed by five alternatives one of which best describes in brief the meaning of the sentence. Indicate the correct one.
10.1 A quantity over and above needed
(a) Surcharge (b) Surplus (c) Deficit (d) degrade (e) Credit
10.2 To scatter liquid –
(a) Startle (b) Dwindle (c) Sprinkle (d) squeeze (e) Suppress
10.3 An underground passage way –
(a) Gutter (b) Glitter (c) Glider (d) Tunnel (e) Canal
10.4 To run away from danger –
(a) Soar (b) Pelt (c) Flemish (d) Fake (e) Flee
10.5 To desire greatly –
(a) Lure (b) Yearn (c) Craze (d) Crave (e) Deprave
11. Find the wrongly spelt word in each of the following questions.
(a) Deploy (b) Emply (c) Supply (d) Reply
(a) Leisure (b) Nuisance (c) Opineon (d) Mystery
(a) Dismiss (b) Dispel (c) Disservice (d) Discribe
(a) Grammer (b) Hammer (c) Manner (d) Stammer
(a) Choclate (b) Woolen (c) Parliament (d) Biscuit